May is National Physical Fitness and Sports Month, and The Arch has got you covered! With our 24-hour fitness center, you can get yourself in shape just in time for the summer. Here's a few workout tips from Better Health to help you meet your fitness goals and ensure your safety in our facility:
1. Be aware of your body. Think about how the particular exercise is making you feel. If something doesn’t feel right, stop immediately and seek medical advice.
2. Warm up and cool down. Try slow stretches and go through the motions of your sport or activity before starting. Cool down with slow stretching.
3. Pace yourself. Have at least one recovery day each week to rest. If you are experiencing pain, rest until the pain has gone.
4. Mix it up. Try other sports and exercises to reduce the risk of overtraining.
5. Strap or tape. If a joint is prone to injury, consider strapping or taping it before exercising. Even better, see an exercise physiologist or physiotherapist to obtain a program to strengthen the injured area and get advice on proper taping techniques.
6. Stay hydrated. You can lose around one and a half liters of fluid for every hour of exercise; so drink water before, during and after a session.
7. Be weather aware. Take it easier in hot weather and wear clothing and sunscreen to protect yourself from the elements.
8. Do it right. Try to get the technique right from the beginning, to ensure you are using your muscles correctly.
9. Check your gear. Make sure your shoes and equipment fit properly and are right for the activity. Look after your equipment and check it regularly for safety.
10. Be sensible, especially at night or in secluded areas. Take a friend or your dog, stick to well-lit areas and wear bright or light-reflective clothing so drivers can see you. We hope to see you there soon!